What: PEERS® (Program for the Education and Enrichment of Relational Skills) is a 14-week evidence-based social skills intervention for motivated teens in middle and high school who are interested in learning ways to help them make and keep friends. During each group session, teens are taught important social skills and are given the opportunity to practice these skills in session during socialization activities. Parents attend separate sessions at the same time and are taught how to assist their teens in making and keeping friends by helping to expand their teen’s social network and providing feedback through coaching during weekly socialization homework assignments.
Who: Teens (age 12-18) who want help with making and keeping friends
When: Mondays 4:30-6:00pm: 3/5, 3/12, 3/19, 3/26, 4/2, 4/9, 4/16, 4/30, 5/7, 5/14, 5/21, 6/4, 6/11, 6/18
Where: Kelberman Center
2608 Genesee Street, Utica – Lower Level (315) 797-6241
Group Size: Up to 10 teens, with 2 teen group leaders + 2 parent group leaders
Important Things to Consider:
- Group placement is determined by clinician at intake appointment based on group dynamics. Participants must meet acceptance criteria:
- IQ above 70, no significant speech delays
- No violent or aggressive behavior toward adults or peers
- Able to function in a group of 10 without 1:1 support
- Understands and follows basic rules
- Can sit and attend to a group activity for at least 30 minutes at a time
- Must be willing to attend voluntarily and is interested in the group
- Autism diagnosis not required.
- Regular attendance is imperative.
- Parent participation is required.
- 50% Payment required at time of registration.
Your Teen Will Learn:
♦ How to use appropriate conversational skills ♦ How to be a good host during get-togethers ♦ How to find common interests by trading information ♦ How to make phone calls to friends ♦ How to appropriately use humor ♦ How to choose appropriate friends ♦ How to enter and exit conversations between peers ♦ How to be a good sport ♦ How to handle rejection, teasing, and bullying ♦ How to handle arguments and disagreements ♦ How to handle rumors and gossip ♦ How to change a bad reputation.
For more information about the PEERS curriculum, go to: www.semel.ucla.edu/peers/teens
Fees:$50/week includes fees for both parent and teen sessions. 14-weeks required. 50% payment due at time of registration ($350). Full cost = $700.
- Download and fill out THIS FORM and email to clinic@Kelbermancenter.org
- A clinician from Kelberman Center will call you for a 15-minute phone intake and schedule you for a 1-hour Screening Appointment.
- Screening Appointment: This program is effective for teens who meet specific criteria. Acceptance into the program cannot be guaranteed. During this appointment, a group leader will assess your teen’s social skill development and determine if he/she will benefit from the PEERS program.